Stealth Electric Bomber, A Two Wheeled Identity Crisis

Quick, what has two wheels, handlebars, a motor and goes over 40 mph?

A motorcycle – wrong!

Sorry, that was not fair. I left out pedals and crank arms. So OK, now guess what it is?

A moped – wrong again!

Ok, enough with the semi-cleverish intro. I’m talking about electric mountain bikes. Big travel downhill mtb’s with an electric motor, batteries, cranks and motorcycle like top speeds. Why bother with pedals on a bicycle that does 50+ mph and weighs 100+ pounds?

Find out why after the break.

Fist off all that power can be hidden inside what looks exactly like a bicycle. If you are in an urban area a bicycle can be ridden on sidewalks, bike paths and on the street. In big cities it can also be locked to a bicycle rack when parking is at a premium. Second you may get more exercise. I think offroad motorcycles are underrated in their physical strength requirements but theoretically you can get a better workout on a motorcycle with pedal assist. Lastly, if you do run low on power you can pedal which lessens range anxiety. Granted, you are gonna be feeling the burn when you get home.

Stealth Electric Bikes Bomber

The Stealth Bomber and Stealth Fighter by Stealth Electric Bikes in Melbourne, Australia are “mountain bikes on steroids”. The 72 Volt Bomber uses a Crystalyte X5 hub motor in the rear wheel and a 9 speed Suntour v-boxx crank. The RST front suspension provides 9 inches of travel and the DNM rear almost 10 inches. Most of the components are upgradeable through Stealth. The all steal monocoque framed bike weights close to 130 lbs but it will do almost 50 mph without pedaling. Have a look at the video below to see the Stealth Bomber doing hot laps to get an idea of how fast it moves. Also be sure to read through Potatoho’s first hand report of life with the Stealth and how it compares to his Zero X.

Bottom line is the Stealth Bomber proves that an identity crisis can be a good thing. Now what is this blog about again? Aww whatever, let’s ride.

Stealth Pricing

Stealth Fighter Retail Price: $7,900.00 USD (as of 5/3/2011)

Stealth Bomber Retail Price: $9,900.00 USD (as of 5/3/2011)

More Information On Stealth:
I am watching and reporting Stealth’s every move on my electric bicycle blog Doped Bike (queue psycho music).

Buy them at Stealth Bikes USA

Talk to Stealth Bike Owners in the Stealth Electric Bikes Forum

Source: Stealth Electric Bicycles via: Advrider

Be Sociable, Share!

12 Responses

1. Written by Brammofan
    on January 13, 2010 at 5:29 am

I must say, when I first saw the picture and read the text, I thought you were perpetrating a hoax. Those are some pretty amazing specs for a pedal bike. One spec that’s missing: price. I wonder what that might be.

2. Written by htfiles
    on January 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Another detailed first-hand review worth reading on the Stealth Bomber and Fighter models is here: http://groups.google.com/group/tidalforce/browse_thread/thread/b6727b84de33e7ce

3. Written by skadamo
    on January 13, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Yeah, they don’t list a price but the advrider thread mentions the price the author paid…

4. Written by Matt
    on November 6, 2010 at 7:12 pm

The Bomber is $8500 AUD stock, you can upgrade brakes from 6 to 8 pot and suspension to White Bros for about $1600 extra.

The fighter is $6500 + similar upgrades if you want. Theres at least a 10-15 week wait once you order.

Thats Aussie Dollars of course.

5. Written by Ben
    on February 28, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I am really digging the bomber. I wonder if they will ship it without the batteries and charger?
    Are there any redesign plans for these bike in the near future? Like a Bomber 2.0?

A buddy of mine (he is an engineer) recently made a bike similar to the bomber. You guys should check it out.

6. Written by John Adamo
    on February 28, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Seeing that POV video of him riding the trails in the mist really hits home. Loud ICE motors just don’t belong in that scene. Thanks for the vid, your buddies bike looks great!

Stealth did show pics of a new redesign of the Fighter…

I did a follow up article here…

7. Written by florian
    on April 15, 2011 at 6:50 am

Bonjour , je voudrait savoir pour le Stealth Electric Bomber il y aura des prix plus accessible merci d’avance .

8. [...] Source : stealthelectricbikes | plugbike [...]

9. Written by David Bisaro
    on January 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

JUST WHAT TO KNOW THE DISTANCE BETWEEN CHARGING THE BATTERIES. I HAVE TO TRAVEL 40K ROUND TRIP. WITH 3K HILL ON THE WAY BACK. I LIVE IN CANADA, B.C..

10. Written by sean
    on February 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Man I love this bike! Imagine how many would sale in the u.s. if you could get the price down. I see a good market here within the cites and with the off road crowd dew to the outrageous gas prices.

11. Written by sport
    on March 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I really want a stealth bike but from the reviews it seems too heavy for regular use and definitely too expensive. If only the price could be alot lower like $500 – $2000.

12. Written by Enri
    on April 1, 2013 at 7:04 am

I think the price is a bit too high, it should be at around 2500-3000$ at most so that it can be affordable to more people. Also there is one info you haven’t specified, how much can you travel with it before the battery dies?