Yamaha EC-03 Electric Scooter Planned For Summer 2010

2010 Yamaha EC-03

Back in October ’09 Yamaha displayed a few scooter concepts at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show. The X shaped EC-f and EC-fs were cool looking electric powered scooters but Yamaha did not give a whole lot of information about them. Their future is uncertain.

The third model was an updated version of the electric Yamaha Passol, a prototype that first debuted in 2002. The 2009 version is called the EC-03 and the video below describes the design philosophy as “Light, Smart, Clean, Silent”. Kazuki Takahashi, Director of EV Development Department at Yamaha also mentions the EC-03 is planned to be released this summer 2010.

The 99 pound, aluminum framed EC-03 is powered by a  permanent magnet synchronous motor that has a maximum output of .6 kW. Yamaha’s 8 years of research into the electronics result in smooth acceleration and start-ups which they call Yamaha Motor Control System. Cool design features include a forward tilting seat for access to the lithium ion battery pack and an on-board charger.

Check out the video after the break.

Source: YouTube

Be Sociable, Share!
Posted on January 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm by John Adamo · Permalink
In: Yamaha · Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses

1. Written by skadamo
    on January 8, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Didn’t want to say in the article but it looks like it has 15″ wheels. Nice and large for rough roads. Can anyone eyeball it?

2. Written by Carles Carrera
    on January 22, 2010 at 9:50 am

They are only showing us a small posrtion of what they have. They are letting startups and entrepreneurs to take the risks and educate the population and evolve the technology.

Once everything is prepared, they will start launching lots of EV’s

3. Written by skadamo
    on February 11, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Yeah, I’m sure your right. Good article about how Brammo is willingly taking on that role here…

4. Written by Ryan
    on May 28, 2010 at 8:45 am

Looks like a very nice bike! Unfortunately I am stuck in one of these http://bit.ly/aHwnxZ so the quickest I’m going is 4mph at the moment.

5. Written by Rieju Goes Electric With The Mius Scooter | PlugBike.com
    on October 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm

[...] most electric scooters including Yamaha’s planned EC-03 which use hub motors, the Rieju Mius has its DC motor mounted in the frame. A lack of chain, belt [...]

6. Written by DaoVan
    on May 8, 2012 at 5:43 am

I’m in Vietnam, email address: dtvan.biolumi@ymail.com. I want to ask that “how I can buy an EC-03 Yamaha electric scooter”? Could you help me information of the supplier and how I can order directly or online or any other ways? Thanks!

7. Written by DaoVan
    on May 8, 2012 at 5:45 am

I’m daovan.biolumi79 at ya hoo dot com in Vietnam. I want to ask that “how I can buy an EC-03 Yamaha electric scooter”? Could you help me information of the supplier and how I can order directly or online or any other ways? Thanks!